Quality Disclosure | Data & Privacy | Consumer Protection | Antitrust
- Learning from Deregulation: The Asymmetric Impact of Lockdown and Reopening on Risky Behavior During COVID-19, August 2020, with Edward L. Glaeser, Benjamin T. Leyden, Michael Luca, NBER working paper 27650.
- Top-up design and Health Care Expenditure: Evidence from Cardiac Stents, February 2020, with Hsienming Lien and Xuezhen Tao.
- The Alchemy of a Pyramid: Transmutating Business Opportunity Into a Negative Sum Wealth Transfer (Dec. 2019), with Andrew Stivers and Doug Smith, SSRN working paper #3497682.
- GDPR and the Localness of Venture Investment, August 2019, with Jian Jia and Liad Wagman at the Illinois Institute of Technology, SSRN working paper #3436535.
- Medicare Payment to Skilled Nursing Facilities: The Consequences to the Three-Day Rule, May 2018, joint with Ajin Lee and Susan Lu, NBER working paper #25017.
- Protecting Consumers in Privacy and Data Security: A Perspective of Information Economics (May 2017), with Andrew Stivers, SSRN working paper #3006172.
- The Short-Run Effects of GDPR on Technology Venture Investment, November 2019, with Jian Jia and Liad Wagman, NBER working paper #25248, forthcoming Marketing Science.
- Big Data at the Crossroads of Antitrust and Consumer Protection, April 2020, with Liad Wagman, based on my keynote at the 16th ZEW Conference on the Economics of Information and Communication Technology in Mannheim, Germany (June 2018), forthcoming the Special Issue on Antitrust in the Digital Economy, Information Economics and Policy.
- Economics at the FTC: Deceptive Claims, Market Definition, and Patent Assertion Entities, with Julie Carlson, Matthew Jones, Jason O'Connor and Nathan Wilson, Review of Industrial Organization, December 2017, 51(4): 487–513.
- Banning Foreign Pharmacies from Sponsored Search: The Online Consumer Response, with Matthew Chesnes and Weijia (Daisy) Dai, Marketing Science, November-December 2017, 36(6): 879-907.
- Highlights by INFORMS
- Economics at the FTC: Horizontal Mergers and Data Security, with Dan Hanner, Marc Luppino and Ted Rosenbaum, Review of Industrial Organization, December 2016, 49(4): 613-631.
- Direct to Consumer Advertising and Prescription Choice with Toshiaki Iizuka, Journal of Industrial Economics , 2007, 55(4): 771-771.
- Impact of Restaurant Hygiene Grade Cards on Foodborne Disease Hospitalizations in Los Angeles County, with Phillip Leslie, Paul Simon, Grace Run, Roshan Reporter, Arturo Aguirre and Jonathan E. Fielding) Journal of Environmental Health, March 2005, Vol. 67, 32-36.
- The Case in Support of Restaurant Hygiene Grade Cards, with Phillip Leslie, Choices, 2nd Quarter 2005, 20(2), 97-102.
- This study has encouraged the public health authorities in the UK to adopt food hygiene grades both via restaurant window displays and on the internet. The internet publication of hygiene grades is available at www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk .
- The Effects of Prescription Drug Advertising on Doctor Visits, with Toshiaki Iizuka , Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Fall 2005, 14(3): 701-727.
- The Effects of Information on Product Quality: Evidence from Restaurant Hygiene Grade Cards, with Phillip Leslie, Quarterly Journal of Economics, May 2003, 118(2), 409-51.
- Mandated Disclosure May Have Flaws, But It Still Has Value, June 22, 2015, comments on More Than You Wanted To Know: The Failure of Mandated Disclosure, by Omri Ben-Shahar and Carl E. Schneider.
- Co-organizer, Research on Effective Government: Inspection and Compliance Workshop (June 2015).
- Co-organizer, Marketing Science – Federal Trade Commission Economic Conference on Marketing and Consumer Protection (September 16, 2016).