E-commerce, Data, and Technology Innovation
- GDPR and the Localness of Venture Investment, January 2020, with Jian Jia and Liad Wagman, SSRN working paper #3436535.
- Market Expanding or Market Stealing? Competition with Network Effects in Bike-Sharing, November 2019, with Guangyu Cao, Xi Weng and Li-an Zhou, NBER working paper #24938.
- Protecting Consumers in Privacy and Data Security: A Perspective of Information Economics (May 2017), with Andrew Stivers, SSRN working paper #3006172.
- More Trusting, Less Trust? An Investigation of Early E-commerce in China (July 2014) with Hongbin Cai, Li-an Zhou and Chong Liu, available as NBER working paper #18961.
- The Short-Run Effects of GDPR on Technology Venture Investment, November 2019, with Jian Jia and Liad Wagman, NBER working paper #25248, forthcoming Marketing Science.
- Big Data at the Crossroads of Antitrust and Consumer Protection, April 2020, with Liad Wagman, based on my keynote at the 16th ZEW Conference on the Economics of Information and Communication Technology in Mannheim, Germany (June 2018), forthcoming the Special Issue on Antitrust in the Digital Economy, Information Economics and Policy.
- Direct-to-Consumer Advertising and Online Search, with Matthew Chesnes, Information Economics and Policy, 2019, vol. 46(C), pages 1-22.
- Artificial Intelligence and Consumer Privacy, chapter in Economics of Artificial Intelligence, edited by Ajay K. Agrawal, Joshua Gans and Avi Goldfarb, NBER.
- Aggregation of Consumer Ratings: An Application to Yelp.com, with Weijia (Daisy) Dai, Jungmin Lee, and Michael Luca, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, September 2018, vol. 16(3), pages 289-339.
- Banning Foreign Pharmacies from Sponsored Search: The Online Consumer Response, with Matthew Chesnes and Weijia (Daisy) Dai, Marketing Science, November-December 2017, 36(6): 879-907.
- Highlights by INFORMS
- The Information Value of Online Social Networks: Lessons from Peer-to-Peer Lending, with Seth Freedman, International Journal of Industrial Organization, March 2017, 51: 185-222.
- Platform Pricing at Sportscard Conventions, with Marc Rysman, Journal of Industrial Economics, December 2015, 63(4): 704-735.
- Press article in New York Times (4/21/2012)
- Seller Reputation: From Word-of-Mouth to Centralized Feedback, with Hongbin Cai, Li-an Zhou and Chong Liu, International Journal of Industrial Organization, May 2014, volume 34, page 51-65.
- Dividing Online and Offline: A Case Study, with Andrew Kato, Review of Economic Studies (July 2007) Vol. 74(3), 981-1004.
- Price, Quality and Reputation: Evidence From An Online Field Experiment, with Andrew Kato, RAND Journal of Economics. Winter 2006, Vol. 37 No.4.